Harvey Disaster Relief: Find out what's being done and how you can help.

See More

Empowering Job Seekers

To gain a job, you are not filling a position, but solving a problem

By Janet White, Author
 “Secrets of the Hidden Job Market: Change Your Thinking to Get the Job of Your Dreams.” Available on Amazon

You’ve looked for weeks or months on the job boards and in the want ads, go to support groups, read books that supposedly help multitudes of other people get hired, network like crazy, and have emailed, snail-mailed or faxed hundreds or even thousands of resumes.

Nothing is happening, and you wonder what’s wrong with you. This doesn’t make sense. You’ve done everything you know to find a job, but you’re still unemployed.

Stop!

Searching for a job the same old way will only get you more of the same results. If you want different results, you’ll need to make some major changes – not only in what you do to get a new job, but more importantly, in what and how you think – about yourself, your employment situation and the job hunting process in general.

You may not realize it, but your thoughts, feelings and beliefs are so powerful they can help you get, or hinder you from getting, that dream job, regardless of what else you do.

Whether you have never worked, are looking for your first job out of school, or have many decades in the workforce, you have a core set of beliefs about what you have to do to get hired. As mentioned earlier, we have never been offered a course on how to find a job when we were in high school or college.

The good news is if you want to change your life, all you have to do is change your thinking, and your life will automatically begin to change. The bad news is that changing your thinking is not as easy as it sounds.

You may have heard that a mere 10% of all currently available jobs are ever advertised and the other 90% are in the “hidden job market,” whose secrets are revealed to only a chosen few.

But nothing is, or ever can be, hidden from you. In fact, everything you could want or need to get the job of your dreams is either right in front of you or is at your fingertips. It was only “hidden” from you because you couldn’t see it, didn’t realize it was there or didn’t know how to use it.

“Hidden jobs” are those positions not advertised, publicized, posted or made available to the general public; in fact, they may not even exist yet.

Mind-set change #1: In reality, companies are constantly hiring, whether or not they have formerly created a job, posted a want ad or talked about it informally. Every company has problems, and because they have problems, they need people to help solve those problems.

Mind-set change #2: And because conditions affecting companies are constantly changing, the needs of companies are constantly changing. This means there is an infinite amount of employment opportunities at an unlimited number of companies all the time.

Mind-set change #3: Reality Check: The only reason you will get hired is because the people hiring believe that you can help them solve their problem. Stop thinking you’re “filling an opening;” you’re not. You’re solving a company’s problem, and by solving their problem, they will solve yours.

Mind-set change #4: Whether or not a job exists now is irrelevant; what matters is that a company has a problem. And since they haven’t yet come up with a solution to that problem, they will hire the first person who they believe can help them solve it, which could easily be you. You could also very well be the replacement for the underperformer or you may be an upgrade.